Offices of the Insurance Commissioner
Allan L. McVey
Insurance Commissioner
Homeowner Policy Types

Homeowners' insurance usually covers the following 3 areas:

1. Fire, windstorm or other physical damage;
2. Theft of personal property;
3. Legal liability for injury or damage arising from your negligence or that of members or your family.
There are six (6) types of homeowners' insurance policies; and each is tailored to give different amounts of protection. The six (6) types are generally similar from company to company, although they may be titled differently.


The Basic Form (HO-1):
This form protects your home and your personal property such as furniture, carpeting, personal effects, etc. The perils insured against are the following: fire or lightning; removal of property endangered by peril; windstorm or hail; vandalism or malicious mischief; theft; damage from vehicles and aircraft; explosion; riot or civil commotion; glass breakage; comprehensive personal liability.

The Broad Form (HO-2):
In addition of benefits of the basic form (HO-1), this form also insures a home and personal property for the following: building collapse, freezing of or accidental discharge of water or steam from within plumbing, heating, air conditioning systems, or domestic appliances; falling objects; weight of ice, snow, or sleet; rupture or bursting of steam or hot water heating systems; comprehensive personal liability.

The Special Form (HO-3):
This form covers your home for "all risks" except for certain specified exclusions, such as earthquake and flood, for damage to or loss of the home (dwelling) or other structures such as a garage, and all perils covered by Form HO-2, for damage to or loss of personal property (contents) and comprehensive personal liability.

The Tenants Broad Form (HO-4):
This form is a policy designed for tenants who rent, which covers only personal property for all perils covered under Form 2 (HO-2). There is no coverage for the dwelling as that is the owner's responsibility and should not be insured by a tenant.

The Comprehensive Form (HO-5):
This form insures your dwelling and personal property for all risks except certain specified perils stated in the policy such as earthquake and flood. Because this policy covers so many potential losses, it is the most expensive homeowners' policy.

Special Condominium Form (HO-6):
This coverage is specifically designed for condominium unit owners and is not offered by all insurance companies. It provides the usual coverage found in Tenants Form (HO-4) and it offers special protection needed by owners of condominium units. It insures only the interior of the owner's unit, not the apartment structure.