Taking steps to prevent losses is important. These simple steps can make a big difference.
1. Install smoke, heat and/or carbon monoxide detectors near all sleeping areas. Some insurance companies may give premium discounts for detector(s) installation.
2. Keep your house, apartment and garage clear of accumulated trash, oily rags and other combustible materials.
3. Check lamps, lamp cords, and light switches to make sure there is no faulty wiring.
4. Practice home fire drills. Make sure everyone (especially children) knows what to do in case of fire.
5. Keep lighters and matches away from children. Make sure that smokers residing in the home do not smoke in bed or near flammable materials.
6. To prevent theft, be sure to install adequate door and window locks on your home, install security cameras, automatic lighting and other precautions such as not letting newspapers accumulate in your absence that may alert a thief/burglar that you are not at home.