Offices of the Insurance Commissioner
Allan L. McVey
Insurance Commissioner
Flood Insurance


To all State, Local Governments and Non-profit Agencies:

Please be aware that the West Virginia Offices of the Insurance Commissioner has been charged with the responsibility of notifying state and local governmental entities, including non-profit organizations, and other entities, that low-cost, federally subsidized flood insurance may be available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This notification is being sent as a result of recent legislation as set forth in House Bill 2556 and in conjunction with Robert T. Stafford Emergency Assistant and Disaster Relief Act. Penalties in the form of reductions in Federal Emergency Management Agency relief funds are possible for entities who fail to purchase adequate flood insurance on all property located in identified flood zones. Section 406 (d) of the Stafford Act mandates a special reduction in the amount of public assistance funding for the structure.

 If you are unsure whether your agency falls under these requirements, please contact your local county planning office or contact the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) at 1-800 FLOOD29, TDD 1-800-427-5593, or see FEMA’s website at www.fema.gov/

 If you require further assistance with your flood insurance policy, you may contact the Consumer Services Division of the Offices of the Insurance Commissioner in Charleston at 304 558-3386 or toll free at 1-888-TRY-WVIC (1-888-879-9842).