1. Contact several insurance agents and companies to find a combination of quality and price that fits your needs.
2. Tell each agent how much insurance you want and describe your home and its contents.
3. Once you have narrowed your search to two or three companies and the best range of prices, you should consider each company's reputation for financial stability, policyholder service, underwriting practices, and claims handling practices. You can talk with friends and neighbors who may have the same company or contact our office to get the A.M. Best rating on a particular company(s).
4. The proper installation of protective devices such as smoke detectors, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, dead-bolt locks, and fire and burglar alarm systems with tie-ins to the local fire and police stations can result in further discounts.
5. Consider increasing deductibles to help reduce you premium.