Taking steps to prevent losses is important. These simple steps can make a big difference.
1. Install smoke and heat detectors near sleeping areas (some companies give discounts on smoke detectors).
2. Keep your house or apartment clear of accumulated trash, oily rags and combustible materials.
3. Check lamps, lamp cords, and light switches to make sure there is no faulty wiring.
4. Practice home fire drills. Make sure everyone (especially children) knows what to do in case of fire.
5. Keep matches away from children. Make sure that smokers do not smoke in bed.
6. Install adequate locks on you home and take other precautions such as not letting newspapers accumulate in your absence.